Posted on July 1, 2014
Friday, July 4 is Action Mesothelioma Day in the UK. Organizations throughout the country will host events to raise awareness about mesothelioma and remember those who have lost their battle with the disease. Tragically, Great Britain has one of the highest per capita rates of mesothelioma in the world. The Health and Safety Executive reported:
- The number of mesothelioma deaths increased to 2,535 in 2012 from 2,291 in 2011. This was largely due to an increase in male deaths aged 65 years or more (Mesothelioma register).
- In 2012 there were 2,126 male deaths and 409 female deaths.
- The number of new cases of mesothelioma assessed for Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit has increased from 1,985 in 2011 to 2,125 new cases in 2012 (IIDB).
- Men who worked in the building industry when asbestos was used extensively are now among those most at risk of mesothelioma
The British Lung Foundation (BLF) is kicking off a new campaign “for sustainable funding for mesothelioma research.” The BLF states, “Over the next 30 years 60,000 people will die from mesothelioma – unless new treatments are found.” ADAO supports the UK campaign urging the insurance industry to invest more in research funding. If you live in the UK – you can you help by asking your MP to support the campaign today.
At a number of events, participants will release doves and balloons as a poignant symbol of the countless individuals and families who have been affected by mesothelioma. Below is a list of just some of the educational and memorial events throughout the United Kingdom.
Action Mesothelioma Day Events 2014
- Asbestos Awareness and Support across Wales
- Asbestos Victims Support Groups Forum UK
- Derbyshire Asbestos Support Team and Mesothelioma UK
- Greater Manchester Asbestos Victims Support Group.
- Hampshire Asbestos Support & Awareness Group
- London Hazards Centre is organizing an educational event in conjunction with East London Mesothelioma Support
- Merseyside Asbestos Victims Support and Cheshire Asbestos Victims Support Group
- Mesothelioma UK
- Saltram House in memory of those affected by mesothelioma
- South Yorkshire Asbestos Victims Support Group
Join ADAO in showing your support for the UK’s annual Action Mesothelioma Day by sharing information about the day with your social networks. I will be lighting a candle for Debbie, Jan, Keith, Dave, Carole, and many others who have courageously shared their mesothelioma battle with the world in efforts to end this man-made disaster.