Posted on August 31, 2018
On Mesothelioma Awareness Day — Wednesday, September 26 — the Asbestos Disease Awareness Organization (ADAO) will host our 13th Congressional Staff Briefing, “TSCA AND ASBESTOS: EPA’s FAILURE TO PROTECT PUBLIC HEALTH,” in Washington, D.C.
The briefing will discuss increased asbestos imports and deaths, EPA’s failure to address and evaluate the largest risk of asbestos exposure in homes, schools, workplaces, and our environment, AHERA asbestos violation in CA, TX, and PA, new EPA Administration and legislative actions and the Alan Reinstein Ban Asbestos Now Act. Credentialed Staffers Only.
- Scott Faber, Vice President of Government Affairs, Environmental Working Group
Dr. Raja Flores, Chair of Cardiothoracic Surgery at Mt. Sinai Medical Center
Mike Mattmuller, Mesothelioma Patient
Pat Morrison, International Association of Firefighters
Linda Reinstein, President/CEO & Co-Founder, Asbestos Disease Awareness Organization (ADAO)
Robert Sussman, Former EPA Deputy Administrator and Senior Policy Counsel to the EPA Administrator
- Asbestos kills nearly 40,000 Americans each year
- Asbestos is still found in homes, schools, commercial buildings, and consumer products
- EPA lacks reliable data on how much asbestos is being imported and where it is being used
- EPA risk evaluation will ignore legacy and Libby Amphibole asbestos; the largest sources of asbestos exposure and risk, including its presence in buildings, release to the environment and disposal
BE HEARD — TAKE ACTION!
- Submit your personal information using this Google form, and we will create and send a personal invite to your Senate offices on your behalf.
- Take a minute to personally call your Senate, and Representatives office following these simple instructions:
- Call the Capitol Switchboard at (202) 225-3121, and ask to speak with your U.S. Senator or Representative (you’ll be making three separate calls to reach each of your Senator’s offices, and your Representatives office)
- When your office answers, please use the script below to request that they send Judiciary, Health, and Environmental staffers to ADAO’s September 26th one-hour luncheon briefing
- Once you’ve made your calls, post a message on my Facebook wall to let the community know you have called and what their office said
Phone Script: Hello, my name is (first name) and I am one of your constituents from (state where you live). I’m reaching out to confirm that your Health, Environmental, Judiciary, and Veterans’ Affairs staffers received the Asbestos Disease Awareness Organization’s invitation to their staff luncheon briefing on September 26 at 12 noon. Each staffer was emailed an invitation on September 7. It is very important to me that you send staffers to this educational briefing with new information about increased deaths, continued asbestos imports and use, and how you can help to protect us, your constituents from asbestos exposure and the incurable diseases it causes. Please RSVP by Friday, September 21 via the link on the invitation flyer or call: (310) 251-7477. Thank you.
If you have any problems or questions, please contact me via email: Linda@adao.us or Facebook.
Thank you in advance for stepping up to help make this briefing a success. Together, we are shaping policy for a safer world!