Posted on July 31, 2019
The Asbestos Disease Awareness Organization (ADAO) will host our 14th Congressional Staff Briefing, “Impact of Asbestos on Public Health, Environment and Economy” in Washington, D.C. Most importantly, this will be ADAO’s first non-partisan staff briefing.
The briefing will discuss increased asbestos imports, new mortality data, ongoing risk of asbestos exposure in homes, schools, workplaces, environment, and consumer products, economic impact, EPA actions under TSCA, and the Alan Reinstein Ban Asbestos Now Act. This briefing is for credentialed staffers only.
In keeping with ADAO’s tradition, this briefing will be dedicated to Vicky, an amazing Mesothelioma Warrior, who passed away this month. Read more about Vicky through her daughter’s tender story, “This Stupid Cancer Took Her Life” – Vicky’s Story.
WHAT: Congressional Health, Environmental, and Veterans Affairs Congressional Credentialed Staff Briefing Luncheon
INVITATION: ADAO 14th Congressional Staff Briefing Informational invitation
DATE: Tuesday, August 27
TIME: 12:00 pm – 1:00 pm ET
WHERE: Capitol Visitor Center, CVC-217
RSVP: Via Google form or call (310) 251-7477. RSVP FOR LUNCH by August 23rd.
Mike Mattmuller, Mesothelioma Patient
Patrick Morrison, International Association of Firefighters
Linda Reinstein, President/CEO & Co-Founder, Asbestos Disease Awareness Organization
Robert Sussman, former EPA Deputy Administrator and Senior Policy Counsel to the EPA
- Asbestos kills nearly 40,000 Americans each year
- In 2018, 750 metric tons of raw asbestos were imported into the USA
- Asbestos can still be found in homes, schools, commercial buildings, and consumer products
- Nearly 70 countries have banned asbestos
- Limited EPA risk evaluation will ignore legacy asbestos in structures, and the Libby Asbestos Amphibole; releases into the environment, and disposal
BE HEARD — TAKE ACTION!
Take a minute to personally call your two Senators and Representative office following these simple instructions:
- Call the Capitol Switchboard at (202) 225-3121, and ask to speak with your U.S. Senator or Representative (you’ll be making three separate calls to reach each of your two Senator’s offices and your Representative’s office).
- When your office answers, please use the script below to request that they send Health, Environmental, and Veterans Affairs staffers to ADAO’s August 27th, 2019 one-hour luncheon briefing.
- Once you’ve made your calls, post a message on my Facebook wall to let the community know you have called and what their office said.
Phone Script: Hello, my name is (first name) and I am one of your constituents from (state where you live). I’m reaching out to confirm that your Health, Environmental, and Veterans’ Affairs staffers received the Asbestos Disease Awareness Organization’s invitation to their staff luncheon briefing on August 27 at 12 noon. Each staffer was emailed an invitation on August 1st. It is very important to me that you send staffers to this educational briefing with new information about increased deaths, continued asbestos imports and use, and how you can help to protect us, your constituents, from asbestos exposure and the incurable diseases it causes. Please RSVP via bit.ly/ADAOAugustbriefing on the invitation email or call: (310) 251-7477. Thank you.
If you have any problems or questions, please contact me via email: Linda@adao.us or Facebook.
Thank you in advance for stepping up to help make this briefing a success. Together, we are shaping policy for a safer world!