Posted on July 31, 2020
As the summer months roll on and we gear up for August, we invite you all to join us by participating in August Asbestos Action Month!
As many of you know, ADAO and others have been fighting hard to get the Alan Reinstein Ban Asbestos Now Act (ARBAN) to move to the House floor for a full vote to pass and enact this life saving legislation. Endorsed by the AFL-CIO, American Public Health Association, Natural Defense Resource Council, Environmental Information Association, Environmental Working Group, and many other leading occupational safety and health organizations, the U.S. House of Representatives Committee on Energy and Commerce voted 47-1 to move the bill forward on November 19, 2019.
Once ARBAN passes the House, Senator Daines plans to partner with Oregon Senator Jeff Merkley to introduce an amended version of Senator Merkley’s Alan Reinstein Ban Asbestos Now Act. When passed, it would ban the manufacturing, processing, use, and distribution of asbestos and the Libby Amphibole, within a year, legacy asbestos study, and improved chemical data reporting.
While we eagerly await the upcoming movement of the bill, we would like to encourage you to take action in helping ban asbestos in the U.S.
Here are three things you can do:
- Sign the petition to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, urging them to ban asbestos without any loopholes or exemptions. Share the petition with friends and help us get to 200,000 signatures by August 14!
- Call your two Senators and your Representative and urge them to pass the Alan Reinstein Ban Asbestos Now Act.
- Join our upcoming ADAO events:
- August 8 — “Ridin’ With the Wind” with Jill Cagle
- August 18 — Zoom Conversation with musician and ADAO national spokesperson, Jordan Zevon
- August 29 — 2020 Record Store Day
As we move forward, we will continue to fight as hard as we can to ban asbestos and keep American lives safe. With your support, advocacy, and action, we will make change possible.
In the upcoming months, ADAO plans to host both a virtual press conference and virtual congressional staff briefing. Be sure to keep your eyes peeled for more information coming soon!