Join us at the ADAO 12th Annual International Asbestos Awareness and Prevention Conference
“Where Knowledge and Action Unite”
April 8 – 10, 2016
Crystal Gateway Marriott in Washington D.C.
2016 Conference Info | 2005 – 2015 Conferences Infographic | Registration | Events | Agenda | Awards Dinner | Honorees | Speakers | Speaker Information | Family Tour | Sponsors | Brunch | Media | Tributes | Conference Program | Live Stream
Posted on December 23, 2015
Since 2005, ADAO’s annual conference has brought together more than 300 speakers ranging from experts, victims, unions to lawmakers from 14 different countries to speak about our joint efforts in education, advocacy and awareness.
ADAO is the only U.S. nonprofit that organizes annual conferences dedicated to preventing and eliminating asbestos-caused diseases.
Conference Event Schedule
FRIDAY, April 8
Private Family Washington, D.C. Trolley Tour and Lunch
12:15 PM – 3:30 PM
NOTE: Tickets are limited
Patients and Families Only
Private Speakers, Honorees, and Sponsors Dinner (By Invitation Only)
6:30 PM – 8:30 PM
SATURDAY, April 9
Continental Breakfast (included)
8:00 AM – 8:30 AM
April 9th Conference Schedule:
- Session I: Progress and Challenges from the Frontline
- Session II: Medical Advancements: Diagnosing and Treating Mesothelioma and Other Asbestos-Related Diseases
- Session III: Prevention: What Is It? Where Is It? What Do I Do?
- Session IV: Advocacy: Global Ban Asbestos Action
Keynote Address and Conference
ADAO Awards & Recognition Dinner ($100.00 – RSVP Required)
6:30 PM – 9:00 PM
SUNDAY, April 10
Unity and Remembrance Brunch
9:30 AM – 11:30 AM
$275.00 Conference and Unity Remembrance Brunch: Patients, Caregivers, and Students
$450.00 Conference and Unity Remembrance Brunch: Professionals
$100.00 ADAO Awards & Recognition Dinner
2016 Asbestos Awareness and Prevention Conference Honorees Include:
Dr. Phillip Landrigan, The Dr. Irving Selikoff Lifetime Achievement Award in honor of his tireless dedication to increasing awareness about asbestos to eliminate diseases.
Dr. Christine Oliver, The Dr. Irving Selikoff Lifetime Achievement Award in honor of her tireless dedication to increasing awareness about asbestos to eliminate diseases.
Asbestos Safety and Eradication Agency, The Tribute of Unity Award for their relentless efforts, both nationally and internationally, to protect public health, ban asbestos, and increase public awareness about the danger of asbestos.
The Collegium Ramazzini, The Tribute of Hope Award for their steadfast commitment to their steadfast commitment to awareness, prevention, and policy to eliminate asbestos-related diseases.
Earl Dotter, The Tribute of Inspiration Award for his unwavering commitment through photojournalism to protect workers’ health and safety and to give past and present asbestos victims a voice.
Clarence Borel, will be honored posthumously, with the Warren Zevon “Keep me in Your Heart” Tribute Award for being a leader in establishing corporate responsibility for those who sell asbestos products and protecting the rights of workers by compensating those who were harmed.
The Amento Family, will be recognized with the Alan Reinstein Award for their commitment to education, advocacy, and support to countless patients and families.
Christine Winter, will be recognized with the Alan Reinstein Award for her commitment to education, advocacy, and support to countless patients and families.
2016 Asbestos Awareness and Prevention Conference Keynote Speaker Honorees:
Saturday: Paul Brodeur, Awarding-winning Investigative Journalist and Author of Expendable Americans and Outrageous Misconduct: The Asbestos Industry on Trial.
Sunday: Dr. Eudice Goldberg, Pediatrician in the Division of Adolescent Medicine at the Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto and Co-founder of the Canadian Mesothelioma Foundation (CMF), Canada.
2016 Asbestos Awareness and Prevention Conference Sponsors
ADAO is extremely grateful to our 2015 Official Sponsors, especially our Platinum Sponsors Motley Rice LLC and the Simmons Hanly Conroy LLC, whose support makes this event possible. We also send a special thanks to our Gold Sponsor Simon Greenstone Panatier Bartlett, P.C, Silver Sponsor Early, Lucarelli, Sweeney and Meisenkothen and our individual donors!
2016 Asbestos Awareness and Prevention Conference Keynote Speakers:
Saturday: Paul Brodeur, Awarding-winning Investigative Journalist and Author of Expendable Americans and Outrageous Misconduct: The Asbestos Industry on Trial
Sunday: Dr. Eudice Goldberg, Pediatrician in the Division of Adolescent Medicine at the Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto and co-founder of the Canadian Mesothelioma Foundation (CMF), Canada.
2016 Asbestos Awareness and Prevention Conference Speakers:
- Marilyn Amento, ADAO Eastern Regional Director, US
- Emily Bankhead, Mesothelioma Widow and 2014 Honoree, US
- Bridget Bersin, Granddaughter of Clarence Borel
- Brad Black, CEO and Medical Director at Center for Asbestos Related Disease; ADAO Science Advisory Board, US
- Paul Brodeur, Keynote Speaker, Investigative Journalist and Author of Expendable Americans and Outrageous Misconduct: The Asbestos Industry on Trial, US
- Jill Cagle, Mesothelioma Widow and Singer, US
- Barry Castleman, ScD, Author of Asbestos: Medical and Legal Aspects; ADAO Science Advisory Board, US
- Keith A. Cengel, Associate Professor and Director of the Photodynamic Therapy Program in the Dept. of Radiation Oncology at the University of Pennsylvania, US
- Ellen Costa, 2016 ADAO Conference Coordinator, Strategy Consultant at Wells Fargo, US
- Earl Dotter, Photojournalist, Author of The Quiet Sickness and BADGES: A Memorial Tribute to Asbestos Workers, US
- Raja Flores, Chairman, Department of Thoracic Surgery, Mt. Sinai Health System; ADAO Science Advisory Board, US
- Arthur Frank, Professor of Public Health and Chair Emeritus of the Department of Environmental and Occupational Health at the Drexel University School of Public Health; ADAO Science Advisory Board Co-Chair, US
- Fernanda Giannasi, Associação Brasileira dos Expostos ao Amianto (ABREA), Brazil
- Eudice Goldberg, MD, Pediatrician in the Division of Adolescent Medicine at the Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto and co-founder of the Canadian Mesothelioma Foundation (CMF), Canada
- Tanis Hernandez, LCSW, US
- Eric Jonckheer, Asbestos Belgium Victims Association (ABEVA), Belgium
- Brent Kynoch, President of Kynoch Environmental Management; ADAO Prevention Advisory Board Co-Chair, US
- Doug Larkin, ADAO Co-Founder; Director of Communications for the Paralyzed Veterans of America, US
- Tom Laubenthal, Training Supervisor & Technical Chief for The Environmental Institute, US
- Agata Mazzeo, Anthropologist; PhD Candidate at University of Bologna, Italy
- Celeste Monforton, DrPH, MPH, Professorial Lecturer, Dept. of Environmental & Occupational Health at the Milken Institute School of Public Health, George Washington University, US
- Paolo Monico, Filmmaker, The Mother, US
- John Newquist, Independent Safety Trainer, Author, and Consultant appearing on NPR, BNA, Safety + Health Magazine, and Mother Jones, US
- Mavis Nye, Mesothelioma Patient, United Kingdom
- Christine Oliver, President of Occupational Health Initiatives, Inc.; Associate Professor of Clinical Medicine at Harvard Medical School; Associate Physician in the Dept. of Medicine at Massachusetts General Hospital; ADAO Science Advisory Board, US
- Brad Parker, National Assistant Secretary of the Construction Forestry Mining Energy Union (CFMEU), Australia
- Emily Reinstein, US
- Linda Reinstein, ADAO, President/CEO, US
- Tony Rich, Industrial Hygienist and Environmental Technician Specializing in Asbestos-related Work, US
- Ann Samuelson, ADAO Western Regional Director, US
- Carmine Tiano, Director of Occupational Health Services at Ontario Building Trades, Canada
- Ellen Tunkelrott, ADAO Board Member, US
- Heather Von St James, ADAO Midwestern Regional Director, Mesothelioma Patient, US
- Lou Williams, Mesothelioma Patient, Australia
- Christine Winter, ADAO Prevention Advisory Board Co-Chair, United Kingdom
- Jordan Zevon, ADAO Spokesperson and Musician, US
- Paul Zygielbaum, Mesothelioma Patient, US
Marriott Hotel Reservations
Crystal Gateway Marriott, 1700 Jefferson Davis Highway, Arlington, VA 22202. Note: We have a limited number of highly discounted rooms at the conference hotel, which is the Crystal Gateway Marriott in Arlington, VA. In order to receive the reduced ADAO group room rate of $169.00 plus tax, reservations must be made by either, online or by calling 1-877-212-5752. Other methods or Marriott numbers will not guarantee the group rate!
Asbestos Disease Awareness Organization reserves the right to decline registrations.
The Asbestos Disease Awareness Organization (ADAO), a registered 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, does not make legal referrals.