ADAO 12th Annual International Asbestos Awareness and Prevention Conference
“Where Knowledge and Action Unite”
April 8 – 10, 2016
Location: Crystal Gateway Marriott in Washington D.C.
2016 Conference Info | 2005 – 2015 Conferences Infographic | Registration | Events | Agenda | Awards Dinner | Honorees | Speakers | Speaker Information | Family Tour | Sponsors | Brunch | Media | Tributes
Posted on December 23, 2015
The Asbestos Disease Awareness Organization (ADAO) is proud to announce our 12th Annual International Asbestos Awareness and Prevention Conference at the Crystal Gateway Marriott in Washington D.C.
Since 2005, ADAO’s annual conference has brought together more than 300 speakers ranging from experts, victims, unions to lawmakers from 14 different countries to speak about and our joint efforts in education, advocacy and awareness.
ADAO is the only U.S. nonprofit that organizes annual conferences dedicated to preventing and eliminating asbestos-caused diseases.
The April 9 conference cutting–edge sessions include:
- Session I: Progress and Challenges from the Frontline
- Session II: Medical Advancements: Diagnosing and Treating Mesothelioma and Other Asbestos-Related Diseases
- Session III: Prevention: What Is It? Where Is It? What Do I Do?
- Session IV: Advocacy: Global Ban Asbestos Action
Crystal Gateway Marriott, 1700 Jefferson Davis Highway, Arlington, VA 22202. Note: We have a limited number of highly discounted rooms at the conference hotel, which is the Crystal Gateway Marriott in Arlington, VA. In order to receive the reduced ADAO group room rate of $169.00 plus tax, reservations must be made by either, online or by calling 1-877-212-5752. Other methods or Marriott numbers will not guarantee the group rate!
$275.00 Conference and Unity Remembrance Brunch: Patients, Caregivers, and Students
$450.00 Conference and Unity Remembrance Brunch: Professionals
$100.00 ADAO Awards & Recognition Dinner
Conference Event Schedule
FRIDAY, April 8
Private Family Washington, D.C. Trolley Tour and Lunch
12:15 PM – 3:30 PM
NOTE: Tickets are limited
Patients and Families Only
Private Speakers, Honorees, and Sponsors Dinner (By Invitation Only)
6:30 PM – 8:30 PM
SATURDAY, April 9
Continental Breakfast (included)
8:00 AM – 8:30 AM
Keynote Address and Conference
ADAO Awards & Recognition Dinner ($100.00 – RSVP Required)
6:30 PM – 9:00 PM
SUNDAY, April 10
Unity and Remembrance Brunch
9:30 AM – 11:30 AM
2016 Asbestos Awareness and Prevention Conference Honorees:
2016 Asbestos Awareness and Prevention Conference Keynote Speakers:
Saturday: Paul Brodeur, Awarding-winning Investigative Journalist and Author of Expendable Americans and Outrageous Misconduct: The Asbestos Industry on Trial
Sunday: Dr. Eudice Goldberg, Pediatrician in the Division of Adolescent Medicine at the Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto and co-founder of the Canadian Mesothelioma Foundation (CMF), Canada
2016 Asbestos Awareness and Prevention Conference Speakers:
- Marilyn Amento, ADAO Eastern Regional Director, US
- Emily Bankhead, Mesothelioma Widow and 2014 Honoree, US
- Bridget Bersin, Granddaughter of Clarence Borel
- Brad Black, CEO and Medical Director at Center for Asbestos Related Disease; ADAO Science Advisory Board, US
- Paul Brodeur, Keynote Speaker, Investigative Journalist and Author of Expendable Americans and Outrageous Misconduct: The Asbestos Industry on Trial, US
- Jill Cagle, Mesothelioma Widow and Singer, US
- Barry Castleman, ScD, Author of Asbestos: Medical and Legal Aspects; ADAO Science Advisory Board, US
- Keith A. Cengel, Associate Professor and Director of the Photodynamic Therapy Program in the Dept. of Radiation Oncology at the University of Pennsylvania, US
- Ellen Costa, 2016 ADAO Conference Coordinator, Strategy Consultant at Wells Fargo, US
- Earl Dotter, Photojournalist, Author of The Quiet Sickness and Badges: A Memorial Tribute to Asbestos Workers, US
- Raja Flores, Chairman, Department of Thoracic Surgery, Mt. Sinai Health System; ADAO Science Advisory Board, US
- Arthur Frank, Professor of Public Health and Chair Emeritus of the Department of Environmental and Occupational Health at the Drexel University School of Public Health; ADAO Science Advisory Board Co-Chair, US
- Fernanda Giannasi, Associação Brasileira dos Expostos ao Amianto (ABREA), Brazil
- Eudice Goldberg, MD, Pediatrician in the Division of Adolescent Medicine at the Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto and co-founder of the Canadian Mesothelioma Foundation (CMF), Canada
- Tanis Hernandez, LCSW, US
- Eric Jonckheer, Asbestos Belgium Victims Association (ABEVA), Belgium
- Brent Kynoch, President of Kynoch Environmental Management; ADAO Prevention Advisory Board Co-Chair, US
- Doug Larkin, ADAO Co-Founder; Director of Communications for the Paralyzed Veterans of America, US
- Agata Mazzeo, Journalist; PhD Candidate at Universiteit van Amsterdam, Italy
- Celeste Monforton, DrPH, MPH, Professorial Lecturer, Dept. of Environmental & Occupational Health at the Milken Institute School of Public Health, George Washington University, US
- Paolo Monico, Filmmaker, The Mother, US
- John Newquist, Independent Safety Trainer, Author, and Consultant appearing on NPR, BNA, Safety + Health Magazine, and Mother Jones, US
- Mavis Nye, Mesothelioma Patient, United Kingdom
- Christine Oliver, President of Occupational Health Initiatives, Inc.; Associate Professor of Clinical Medicine at Harvard Medical School; Associate Physician in the Dept. of Medicine at Massachusetts General Hospital; ADAO Science Advisory Board, US
- Emily Reinstein, US
- Linda Reinstein, ADAO, President/CEO, US
- Tony Rich, Industrial Hygienist and Environmental Technician Specializing in Asbestos-related Work, US
- Ann Samuelson, ADAO Western Regional Director, US
- Carmine Tiano, Director of Occupational Health Services at Ontario Building Trades, Canada
- Ellen Tunkelrott, ADAO Board Member, US
- Heather Von St James, ADAO Midwestern Regional Director, Mesothelioma Patient, US
- Lou Williams, Mesothelioma Patient, Australia
- Christine Winter, ADAO Prevention Advisory Board Co-Chair, United Kingdom
- Jordan Zevon, ADAO Spokesperson and Musician, US
- Paul Zygielbaum, Mesothelioma Patient, US
We invite you to join us in April as we stand together “Where Knowledge and Action Unite” at our 12th Annual Asbestos Awareness and Prevention Conference.
Be sure to register and I look forward to personally welcoming you to our conference in April.
Together, we make change happen.
Asbestos Disease Awareness Organization reserves the right to decline registrations.
The Asbestos Disease Awareness Organization (ADAO), a registered 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, does not make legal referrals.