ADAO’s 16th Annual International Asbestos Awareness and Prevention Conference September 17 -18, 2021
2021 Conference Info | Honorees and Keynote Speakers | Registration | Agenda | Friday “Art, Advocacy, and Shared Stories” Film Festival | Saturday Academic Conference | Saturday Awards and Recognition Ceremony | Sponsors | Exhibitors |Media | Meet the Speakers Blog Series | Previous Conferences |
The Asbestos Disease Awareness Organization (ADAO) is thrilled to announce that registration for our 16th Annual International Asbestos Awareness & Prevention Conference and Film Festival for September 17 – 18, 2021 is now open and our full conference website is online.
We are excited to announce, for the first time, ADAO will host the “Art, Advocacy, and Shared Stories” film festival on Friday. On Saturday, we will host our cutting-edge academic conference and awards ceremony.
ADAO is the only U.S. nonprofit that organizes annual conferences dedicated to preventing and eliminating asbestos-caused diseases.
From medical experts to mesothelioma victims, trade union leaders to lawmakers, and activists to loved ones, ADAO’s annual conferences have hosted more than 300 speakers since 2005. This distinguished group – which includes experts from over 20 countries – has gathered every year for the past 16 years to speak about our joint efforts in asbestos education, advocacy and awareness.
Sessions will include:
Friday, September 17 — ADAO “Asbestos: Art, Advocacy, and Shared Stories” Film Festival
- Moderators: Dr. Christine Olive and Ellen Costa
- Film Screenings of The Mother by Paolo Monico, Breathless by Daniel Lambo, Dirty Laundry by Conor B. Lewis and Zack Johnson, ADAO’s 16th Congressional Staff: “Impact of Asbestos on Public Health, Environment, and Economy” with Brad Black, MD; Barry Castleman, ScD; Raja Flores, MD; Arthur L. Frank, MD, PhD; Brent Kynoch, Environmental Information Association; Richard Lemen, PhD, MSPH; Celeste Monforton, DrPH, MPH, American Public Health Association; Linda Reinstein, Asbestos Disease Awareness Organization; Greg Russell, International Association of Fire Fighters; and Robert Sussman.
- Keynote Speaker: Julie Gundlach
- Candle Lighting: Kim Cecchini and Jill Cagle
- Saturday, September 18 — ADAO Academic Conference and Awards and Recognition Ceremony
- Moderators and Keynote Speaker Introducers: Dr. Brad Black, Dr. Steven Markowitz, Tom Laubenthal, Brent Kynoch, Dr. : Celeste Monforton and Kathy Best
- Session I: Progress and Challenges from the Frontline
- Session II: Medical Advancements: Diagnosing and Treating Mesothelioma and Other Asbestos-Related Diseases
- Session III: Prevention: What Is It? Where Is It? What Do I Do?
- Session IV: Global Ban Asbestos Action
- Keynote Speakers: Rebecca L. Reindel, MS, MPH, Safety and Health Director, AFL-CIO, Saturday and Wendy Ruderman, The Andrew Schneider Memorial Lecture
Saturday, September 18 — ADAO Awards and Recognition Ceremony
- Judd Apatow, Warren Zevon “Keep Me in Your Heart” Tribute Honoree
- Dr. Jacqueline M. Moline, The Dr. Irving Selikoff Lifetime Achievement Award
- Former Congressman John Shimkus, The Tribute of Hope Award
- Congressman Paul Tonko, The Tribute of Hope Award
- Alan Reinstein Ban Asbestos Now Act Supporters, The Tribute of Inspiration Award
- American Federation of Teachers, The Tribute of Unity Award
- Barry Robson, The Alan Reinstein Award
- Robert Sussman, The Alan Reinstein Award
- Rebecca L. Reindel, MS, MPH, Safety and Health Director, AFL-CIO, Saturday Keynote Speaker
- Wendy Ruderman, The Andrew Schneider Memorial Lecture
- Julie Gundlach, Friday Keynote Speaker
|Judd Apatow||Conor Lewis|
|Harminder Bains||Carmen Lima|
|Kathy Best||Steven Markowitz|
|Brad Black||Jessica Mattmuller|
|Simon Butt-Bethlendy||Jacqueline Moline|
|Jill Cagle||Celeste Monforton|
|Barry Castleman||Paolo Monico|
|Mark Catlin||Nicole Neal|
|Kim Cecchini||Mavis Nye|
|Ellen Costa||Christine Oliver|
|Earl Dotter||Richa Patel|
|Anna Forgie||Rebecca Reindel|
|Arthur Frank||Linda Reinstein|
|Fernanda Giannasi||Emily Reinstein|
|Julie Gundlach||Tony Rich|
|Ehi Iden||Barry Robson|
|Zack Johnson||Wendy Ruderman|
|Laura and Bob Kuzmick||Robert Sussman|
|Brent Kynoch||Kelly Trautner|
|Daniel Lambo||Andrea Wolf|
|Tom Laubenthal||Jordan Zevon|
|Richard Lemen||American Federation of Teachers|
For those of you who have attended Zoom events or been personally invited as our guest to the conference, please watch out for a separate email on how to register.
The conference will air virtually on Friday and Saturday, September 17 – 18, 2021, September is Mesothelioma Awareness Month, an incredibly important time for us to educate the public about the dangers of asbestos exposure. Registration opens this summer, so be sure to keep your eyes peeled for our conference website! We are excited to host our conference in this important month, and we look forward to getting together, even virtually, and spreading awareness and knowledge!
Our work is made possible by our generous sponsors and donors. Thanks to our 2021 Platinum Sponsor Simmons Hanly Conroy, Gold Sponsor The Gori Law Firm, and Silver sponsor Early, Lucarelli, Sweeney & Meisenkothen. There are limited 2021 sponsorship opportunities which will be finalized on April 30th. ADAO is the only independent nonprofit dedicated to education, advocacy, and community efforts to prevent asbestos exposure to eliminate all asbestos-caused diseases. Please contact me if you are interested in supporting ADAO’s important education, advocacy, and community efforts, including our conference.
We look forward to introducing exhibitors to our virtual conference. Please look out for more information in the coming weeks.
Stay tuned for more!