Posted on November 30, 2020
2020 Asbestos Disease Awareness Organization Year in Review
2020 Educational Initiatives: In an effort to educate the public about the dangers of asbestos, ADAO successfully:
- Distributed 12 monthly eNewsletters with the latest asbestos-related news and events to a global audience.
- Held our 15th Congressional Staff Briefing: “Impact of Asbestos on Public Health, Environment, and Economy.”
- Continually updated ADAO’s website highlighting asbestos-related news and events and housing extensive educational resources, including an Asbestos Video Library of conference videos and educational presentations.
- Expanded our network of physicians, researchers, public health practitioners, labor union members, and asbestos victims by conducting extensive online outreach campaigns on a variety of social media platforms.
- Flew a flag over the Capitol in Washington, D.C. in honor of Mesothelioma Warriors on Mesothelioma Awareness Day.
- Hosted 7 Virtual Events:
- ZOOM Press Conference: Experts to Discuss EPA’s Dangerously Narrow Draft Asbestos Risk Evaluation on May 28
- Conversation with Dr. Jacqueline Moline and Robert Sussman to Discuss Asbestos, Talc, Prevention, and Policy
- Conversation with Award-Winning Photojournalist, Earl Dotter, Creator of “BADGES: A Memorial Tribute to Asbestos Workers” Posters and Exhibits
- Conversation with Dr Arthur Frank: ADAO’s First International Virtual Community Gathering
- Conversation: Women for Clean and Toxic-Free Beauty Come Together to Discuss and Advance Prevention and Policy Efforts
- Conversation with Jordan Zevon, Musician and ADAO National Spokesperson, and Video Message from Judd Apatow
- Conversation with the Amazing Mavis and Ray Nye, Mesothelioma Warriors and Asbestos Prevention Advocates on November 11th
2020 Advocacy Initiatives: In order to advocate for an international ban on asbestos use, mining, and exportation of this known carcinogen, ADAO:
- Worked with lawmakers to get the Alan Reinstein Ban Asbestos Now Act of 2019 (ARBAN) introduced in both the Senate and the House.
- Mounted a successful legal challenge against the Environmental Protection Agency’s negligent transparency standards for the asbestos industry, moving us closer to attaining our “Right to Know” how much asbestos is being used in the U.S.
- Expanded our art and advocacy efforts by collaborating with artists to promote advocacy:
- Sponsored the Earl Dotter’s 2020 Poster
2020 Community Initiatives: To provide a community of support for those affected by asbestos, ADAO:
- Coordinated Global Asbestos Awareness Week to raise public awareness about the prevalence of asbestos-related diseases and the dangers of asbestos exposure.
- 2020 – 2021 Mesothelioma Warrior Candle Lighting Tradition Continues on December 28 and January 4
- Record Store Day 2020: Release of “Warren Zevon’s Greatest Hits (According to Judd Apatow)” to Help Ban Asbestos
- Published and shared new “Share Your Story” submissions from patients and families from across the globe who have been devastated by asbestos-related disease.
- Utilized ADAO’s Facebook Page, Facebook Group pages, and Twitter presence to provide an interactive medium for those seeking a space to share, connect, or access information.
ADAO 2020 Presentations:
- February 4, 2020: Less Cancer’s National Cancer Prevention Day, in Washington D.C.
- September 17, 2020: Environmental Information Association (EIA) Conference, “Meso Warrior and Survivor: Pain Endured and Lessons Learned” , Linda Reinstien with Julie Gundlach
- October 6, 2020: American University Law School,“Asbestos: Drafting Legislation During Tumultuous Times,” in Washington, DC
- October 8, 2020: Healthy Indoors,“Asbestos: Are We Doing Enough to Combat This Environmental Hazard?” with Bob Krell, Brent Kynoch and Linda Reinstein
- November 19, 2020: 2nd National Conference in Portugal National Conference “Asbestos: The Impact on Health, Prevention, and Policy”, Portugal